Do You Have Prediabetes?
From the Doctor’s Blog Feb 24, 2016
1 in 3 American Adults Have Prediabetes
“The numbers don’e lie, 1 in 3 American adults has prediabetes, but only 10% of them know they have it. Prediabetes means a person’s blood glucose (sugar) level is higher than normal, but not high enough yet to be diagnosed with diabetes. People with prediabetes are on the road to develop type 2 diabetes within several years, and are also at increased risk for serious health problems, such as stroke and heart disease,” says the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
What Are the Risk Factors for Prediabetes?
- Have a family history of diabetes.
- Are overweight.
- Have a history of gestational diabetes – diabetes or high blood sugar when pregnant.
- Have high blood pressure.
- Race or ethnic background – If you are of African-American, Asian-American, Latino/Hispanic-American, Native American or Pacific Islander descent, you have a greater likelihood of developing diabetes.
- Age – Generally, type 2 diabetes occurs in middle-aged adults, however, health care providers are diagnosing more and more children and adolescents with type 2 diabetes.
How Can You Reduce Your Risk?
There are some prediabetes risks you can’t control, like age and family history. But, there are things you can do to reduce your risk, such as increased physical activity and weight loss. Studies show that losing just 5-7 percent of your body weight, by eating healthier and doing regular exercise can help prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes.
There are not usually symptoms when you have prediabetes. Adults who have diabetes have a 50% higher risk of death than those who do not. People who have diabetes are at higher risk of serious health complications including heart attack, stroke, kidney failure, blindness, and amputation of toes, feet or legs. Talk to your provider to know for sure. A simple blood test can confirm if you have prediabetes.
Take the Risk Test
“With a little exercise and a change in diet, it can be reversed. Let’s face it, there are millions of reasons why we don’t find the time to make healthy lifestyle choices. Kids, jobs, cat videos on the Internet – we’re busy. But whatever your reason, prediabetes is real. So find out if you have prediabetes by taking the test now. You won’t regret it.” – CDC
Take the test here: doihaveprediabetes.org/prediabetes-risk-test.html